Monday, September 9, 2013

Journey of the Boardwalk: Part 32 - Mini Front Fender Modification

After removing my front fender to cater for the new front caliper brakes, I kind of miss having the front fender around. Although it is not as important as the rear fender, it is still good to have. I rode on wet roads without the front fender, and the entire bottom of the bike frame and the BB area ended up being dirty.

Perhaps I could still have part of the front fender, alongside the new front caliper brakes? It is actually quite a simple idea, and it only requires some basic hands-on skills. Here is how I did it.

I first removed the front plastic cap on the front fender. It came out with surprising ease, seems that it was just a snap fit with hardly any glue.

Sawed off the front part of the fender! I discovered that there is a thin layer of metal molded within the polycarbonate shell. So this is why the fender is so light yet strong.

Shape the remaining front end to have a curved shape, similar to the front fender cap.

Apply some super glue and fit on the fender front cap! Looks as good as new with no trace of modification. Now I have a mini front fender!

Oops the mounting bolt is too short to secure the fender. Instead of using a longer bolt, I removed the extra spacer/nut near the bolt head.

Now the mounting bolt is long enough for me to fix on the fender. Secured with a nylon locknut!

Mini front fender modification done! I now have the front fender back on the Boardwalk, to protect me and the bike against road spray. This mini fender can co-exist with the new Elosix front brake adaptor.

A simple modification to the front fender allowed it to be mounted on the Boardwalk again! The only tools required are a simple hand saw to cut the fender, a file to smoothen the rough edges, and some super glue to fix back the fender cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!