Sunday, September 3, 2017

Canyon Endurace: Garmin Mount for H31 Ergocockpit

After the introduction of the new bike, the Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 Di2, let's take a closer look at some of the more interesting components.

One of it would be the integrated stem plus handlebar. This comes together with the bike, regardless of whether you buy the complete bike or the frameset. It is a really nice integrated handlebar, but you need to like the reach and angle of the handlebar setup, as you cannot adjust it. What you can adjust is only the height of the handlebar as you can put spacers above or under the stem area.

From my experience, the dimensions of the integrated handlebar that comes with this bike is similar to the FSA K-Force Compact road handlebar that I have used before. With a width of 400mm and a stem length of 90mm, this is perfect for me. As for the reach and drop, it is quite close to the usual compact shape that I use, so it should be OK.

Dimensions of the integrated handlebar that comes with the XS size of Canyon Endurace CF SLX. The model number of this handlebar is H31.

With this integrated handlebar, the top of the handlebar is aero shaped, with a flat holding area near the middle. This means that it is not possible to install a standard Garmin mount on the handlebar, as there is nowhere cylindrical to install the clamp or the rubber bands.

Luckily, Canyon also makes the Garmin mount that can be fitted to this H31 handlebar. This Garmin mount can be mounted to the underside of the integrated handlebar using two bolts. If you want to, you can also 3D print your own mount to work with this handlebar, what you need is just the hole-to-hole distance under the handlebar.

When I ordered the bike, I also added this Garmin mount to the order, so that I don't need to buy it separately.

Canyon Garmin mount for H31 Ergocockpit, which is the integrated handlebar used on Endurace CF SLX.

Mount comes with two long bolts for fixing it to the bottom of the integrated handlebar. Material is some kind of reinforced plastic.

Weighs about 31 grams including the two bolts.

There are two positions for placing the Garmin quarter turn mount. You can place it in the outwards position for larger Garmin units such as Edge 1000...

...or in the inwards position for smaller Garmin units. This brings the Garmin unit closer to the handlebar for a more integrated feel.

Garmin Edge 510 installed! Also note the wide interface between the stem and handlebar area.

This is just a simple add on accessory for the Canyon, which allows a Garmin to be positioned neatly in front of the integrated handlebar.

I would like an improved version of this mount that is made of aluminium, with a GoPro style mounting at the bottom of the Garmin. This will allow the installation of a front camera or a front light with the appropriate GoPro mounting.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Very helpful. I imagine a GoPro version will/is available very soon. K-edge may do one already?
    Just bought my first canyon and forgot I needed this special mount! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone know the bolt size for the underside of the H31 bars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It uses a M4 x 0.7mm bolt with a countersunk head.

      Delete
  3. Can you tell me the length of the bolt supplied with the Garmin mount?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can anyone tell me if this style handle bar comes with a special place for di2 junction box mounting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This handlebar comes with a special bracket for Di2 Junction A.
      http://handsonbike.blogspot.sg/2018/03/canyon-endurace-customizing-dura-ace-di2.html

      Delete
  5. Will using this mount interfere with placing the junction box as right now it uses the second bolt ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever figured out how to attach a GoPro mount to the underside of your Garmin mount for the Endurace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is a plastic mount and so cannot take too much weight.

      Delete
  7. REC Mounts out of Japan make excellent aluminum mounts compatible with this that include gopro or light options. HOWEVER - if you order make sure they correctly identify USD value from YEN. I got fucked over by them with customs because they put like $5,000 USD instead of the USD equivalent of 5,000 YEN resulting in customs fees that were nearly 80% of the items actual value. Basically for a $40 mount with shipping and these fucked up fees I paid like $120.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy REC mounts before, but I didn't really like the design. https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2017/08/cateye-padrone-cycle-computer-and-rec.html

      Delete
  8. Thank you for such a useful review. Can I ask what the length of the mount is? I am hoping to be able to fit a wahoo roam on a compatible mount. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the mount any more so I can't take measurements. You can try to estimate the size from the pictures.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the info. I just got a 9.0 Di2. Awesome bike! I just don't see how I can install that mount as there are actually not wholes in the bottom of the cockpit where this could fit. How did you do it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your handlebar is the same, use the holes for the Di2 Junction A to assemble the mount.
      https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2018/02/canyon-endurace-actual-weight-of-frame.html

      Delete
  10. Hi would anyone be able to tell me what tool I need to unscrew the x2 bolts for the actual Garmin quarter turn? If I wanted to move it up or down within the mount.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very useful info! I forgot to order mine when I bought the bike and now it's very expensive just to get that mount. I've been looking for the screws and I can't find them. I'm in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  12. has anyone tried the K-Edge K13-2500i-BLK?

    ReplyDelete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!